Good beginnings are hard to find. Some of these will be good, some bad and some stinkers. The exercise is to see how many of each I can come up with when they pop into my head. Well, hopefully they'll all be good or okay, but in any case, its to get me focused on doing something. Can they be a launchpad for something bigger?

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

In the beginning....

In the beginning there was the word. Several in fact. They decided to get together after finding life was harsh and lonely in their worlds of isolation. People would point and stare, but that was probably because People was a plural word. It had never tasted the bitter pain of life as an outcast; as one who could not converse with others and seemed doomed to a life of solitude.

It began with A, for he was the smallest and therefore the most insignificant. On the plus side he had height, sharp points and great angularity. And because he was composed of just one letter, he had more freedom than the others. During the endless hours alone he had managed to shrink himself to a lower case and as such a could talk to the others - bring them onside without giving the game away too early.

He started with Upon, as she was perhaps the least popular word in the vicinity. Most put that down to a sense of aloofness which she seemed to exude, but she preferred to think it was because she started with a U, like Unique.

Time was the toughest of the three to convince, but when Once was on side thanks to the flirtatiousness of Upon, it was a piece of cake. Their shared es being the glue that bonded them to each other.

And as they posed for the photograph that would demonstrate their new found unity, People stared at them. And People felt envy.

Focus. Click. Snap. Cheese.

Once Upon A Time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Little said...

Retrospective posting because I've just mentioned the reasoning behind this in a comment to the second post.

I want to write, but I never seem to be that motivated. Ideas come and I jot them down but hardly do anything with them. If I do, I take the project so far and then meander off somewhere else. I don't remain focused.

The other killer for me is that when I do have a good idea, its usually the middle and end of the story that I know and I'm eager to get to that bit, forgetting the beginning. Which I've done before a few times, but then I've written the good bit and the slow beginning isn't that interesting to me.

Recently I tried from the beginning and wrote about 60 pages, the first act of a novel. It was written chronologically and I enjoyed it, but my mind began to wander off to the next project.

So, this is my way of writing something new each day and because beginnings have been the bain of my writing life so far, I thought I would write a short start to a short story, or novel or whatever (hey, poetry is something I've never tried, but you never know). They probably won't lead anywhere, but we'll see. Its an exercise in patience, dedication... perhaps even fun.

9:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home